Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Never Let Them See You Coming

So there's big controversy in the AI bubble-world today, and this time it involves -- ta da -- Elliott! Yay!!

No, his good guy image isn't getting tarnished. Instead, his image as the forgotten man is getting burnished.

It seems that in the media roundup of last week, Elliott was pointedly ignored by Simon and others when they had to make their appearances and give predictions. That peeved fans something fierce. People got pissy about it, but the cherry on the sundae that's whipped his fans into a frenzy is the latest issue of TV Guide, which features a story called "The Top Three Revealed" or some such. And then inside, it -- of course -- features McPhlash, Taylor, and Bald Eggtard. Not even a single word about Elliott.

This is exactly the sort of thing that gets addressed in the sit-down segments before the contestants sing, and maybe it'll give a nice little boost to Elliott tonight if his buddy Seacrest jokes about it with him.

Sure. It's sucky that he gets so little respect in general and got ignored by TV Guide. But it's just one more opportunity for him to blaze the song and make people listen.

Me? I can't bring myself to get too worked up and pissed off about it. I picked him as a longshot, a dark horse. That's kind of the definition of being an underdog -- that people write you off and don't think you have a real chance. It may not have all the glory as a spread in TV Guide, but there's a certain quiet strength to still holding your own without the fanfare.

This was one of Al Pacino's lines (in "Devil's Advocate") regarding overpowering/defeating people: He said the trick was to "never let them see you coming." Machiavellian -- it may be. Or it's maybe just how the dynamics of being a Cinderella work.

Anyhow. I'm not gonna be miffed about Elliott not getting a picture in TV Guide next to Chris and Kat this week. Let them have their moment now. Cause Elliott, he'll be on the cover all by himself once he wins.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I was SO looking forward to tonight's show but guess what? I'm going to miss it again! Argh! My oldest son has his piano recital and I think he'd be less than undertanding if Mommy wanted to stay home and watch AI.

BTW, last dreamed I was making out with Taylor, and then he confessed to me that he was gay. Go ahead and do with that what you will.

xx

SusanD said...

Aw, Ellen! Darn those talented kids! I hope he does well!

I don't know what to do with that dream yet, but I'm sure I'll mine it somehow, at some time ;)