Tuesday, May 16, 2006

He's The Boss, and I love him no matter what

And so it shall be.

Bruce Springsteen is allowing Taylor to sing his watershed hit "Dancing In The Dark" on American Idol.

I don't know who, but apparently they're also bringing in a famous sax player to cover Clarence's part.

This uh, this little twist really sends a white-hot frisson of Jersey coursing down my spine though.

It's almost fucking weird, you know? I've tried to keep "myself" out of these AI blog posts, other than making occassional (numerous) digressions about my tastes. And my tastes, as you may have realized, include a fierce and passionate love for The Boss and his music.

And then here this gets dropped right in my lap -- either a gift or a punishment. I'm not sure yet what it is. I don't know if there's any way I can possibly, objectively watch this happen.

But I'll try.

Oh. Um. Clive's pick for Elliott is "Open Arms" by Journey and for Katharine it's "I Believe I Can Fly."

4 comments:

Myfanwy Collins said...

I'm nervous about Dancing in the Dark. Susan, do you think someone is taunting you? I'm starting to believe that might be true.

And: Open Arms?!?!? What up with that?

SusanD said...

Myfanwy -- yes someone is taunting me. The universe is. The universe is perverse. It's been mocking and taunting me for 30-some years now. Some call it karma. I call it -- my life.

All I know is that if Taylor fucks this up, I don't think I can possibly have mercy on him, even though it's not his fault, really.

Open Arms -- ugh. I know. Clive does this though. Every time I hear his picks I say, "What utter shit." And the worse it sounds on paper, the better it ends up sounding on the show. Unless he's trying to tank someone. Honestly, I think Elliott's vibrato could be a distracting fucking MESS on that song. But, maybe it won't, either.

janey jay said...

A famous sax player for Clarence's part? Hmm. In response, I'd love to see Randy Jackson play bass (as he once did for Journey) during "Open Arms". Might work, might not -- but would definately be memorable.

And I'm prepared to be completely, utterly subjective during Taylor's interpretation of "Dancing in the Dark"...

SusanD said...

Laura Petrie -- I'd pay money to see Randy in the spandex like he used to be :)

And I'm prepared to be completely, utterly subjective during Taylor's interpretation of "Dancing in the Dark"...

Ha ha ha!! thank you for that! It broke my glowering mood, it really did.