Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Boys -- and Girls! -- of Summer

Entourage is back! What's going on, you ask? Well, Ari is racing around and taking and making calls and pulling strings. Vince is doing things to make sure he's not a pussy. E is playing kissy-face with Sloan and not powerful enough to take care of business so he's calling Ari. Drama is getting slighted, and Turtle is getting shit-kicked by a girl. Everyone is too rich. Same old, same old, with Nick Cassavettes tossed in for good measure. Nicely done. Douchebaggy, it may be, but I still enjoy it.

What I'm also enjoying is the summer premier of Hot in Cleveland. It's another spin on The Golden Girls, but this time around, Betty White is in the Sophia slot. The jokes aren't all that fresh, but the cast is so damn likable, with Jane Leeves, and Wendie Malick. I adore Malick. She can take a tired old bit and still make it work with a weird joie de vivre. And Betty White? It doesn't matter if they underuse her talents by getting a cheap laugh by making say something coarse, she's still adorable. And I think Jane Leeves is falling into the Johnny Drama slot of having bad shit happen to her and getting humiliated and then recovering. You just can't have enough Drama in comedy.

3 comments:

Emma said...

I'm also enjoying Hot in Cleveland, my favourite is Wendie Malick too. My discoveries of this summer are that and The Good Guys (love Colin Hanks.)

Sue Nami said...

Ooh, I can't read this post yet. Just started Season 6 of Entourage on dvd. 5 episodes in--great so far!

SusanD said...

Emma -- thanks, I'm going to check out The Good Guys!

Sue -- enjoy the season! It's a little uneven, but worthwhile, and it always makes me giggle.