Monday, January 07, 2008

Lose some

This is the final year of Susie Bright's landmark Best American Erotica series. In that link, you'll find a detailed post by Susie about why the series is ending.

I'm very sad. I'm sad not only that the series is ending, but also because I fear that Bright is quite correct in her thoughts on the state of publishing and writing. It's uh, it's not easy. There's a lot I could tell you about trying to make a go of a writing life, but that's not really my style. But I will say this: It's not easy.

One of the things that makes it bearable, even joyful, is encouragement, particularly from respected peers or patrons or teachers or editors or publishers. Susie Bright is all those things.

Some of my fellow writers could use a break. Truly. They come few and far between. Sometimes, I feel guilty, or incompetent, or just frustrated with myself, because I've gotten breaks. Lots of them. I don't know how I'll ever show my appreciation to these people. What I want, what I really hope for, is to someday be able to capitalize on these lucky, generous breaks and put together a career so that I can somehow help and push along someone else. As desires go, I don't think it's a bad one. But also, it's ain't gonna be easy.

And that's why the end of BAE is sad. It just got harder. For all of us.

No comments: