Friday, January 20, 2006

Who's the ad genuis...

Have you seen this grotesque little commercial? It's the one that NBC is running nearly nonstop to promo the Olympics, but it's also promoting some gas-guzzling vehicle too. This is the commercial where the red, white, and blue body painted Americans unfortunately let one of their tribe fall through cracked ice and become frozen. But does that damper their gung-ho party in Torino? Hell no! They strap the frozen fucker to the top of their SUV and thrash through Italy enthusiastically cheering on their American team anyhow with pinhead babes commenting on how cute the frozen corpse in their midst is. Is that all? Oh no! They then proceed to scrape his frozen, blue flesh and eat it as a fucking snowcone!

Look man. I know some people get pissy about the Olympic coverage on NBC because it's so American centered. And it certainly is. But given our jingoist government these days, I certainly don't expect that to change this year. But isn't there still a line somewhere between brash, irrational patriotism and cannibalism?

4 comments:

Ellen said...

I've seen this commercial a few times and am still in shock. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? It's not funny. It's not irreverent. And it's certainly not clever. Did they think that making the stupidest commercial possible would appeal to the South Park generation? If so, I just hope to God they aren't right. Civilization may well be doomed.

SusanD said...

Hiya Ellen. Glad it's not just me who's appalled by it. I have a feeling that civilization isn't really doomed. I've a feeling that EVERYONE is going to be repulsed by this commercial and that a few ad execs are going to get fired! If people DO like it though, then yeah, we're doomed.

Donald Capone said...

OK, I have to see this commercial now.

Anonymous said...

Oh my. It's shit like this that makes me glad I'm an expat.